Welcome, I hope you have a pleasant read and please don't hesitate to visit me again. I am always here for you

Sunday 9 October 2011

I Still Love My Springboks

So I woke up real early today, I mean real early like 5.30am right... So am awake and am feeling good and excited. Am still dozing off from time to time but it’s all good because the game is about to start (SouthAfricavsAustralia) and am certain that we (SouthAfrica) are going to win. Why wouldn't we? We have the most experienced team in international rugby. In other words: our team is composed of largely a bunch of old guys. But these aren't your regular old guys though, they are good old guys. Really good. And, we are the defending champions. We have been there before, so we know what needs to be done. So the game starts and boy are we dominating. All the stats suggest that we're killing it; possession, territory, everything. Our guys are tearing up the advantage line, running hard and making solid tackles. I mean this is what the Springboks (SouthAfrica) are known for: that extremely physical brand of rugby. So we’re killing everything, everything but one thing, the points on the score board. The one big thing that really counts is the last thing I‘m thinking about. I mean am aware of it but am kinda ignoring it because am confident in my team, we can pull through.

Apart from the 9 points Australia scored in the first half, they really haven't been in the game. Except for one guy, one guy who can absolutely ruin the speed at which we play our game is having a field day. This one guy is none other than David Pocock. I'm on the couch cussing the air, 'How can one guy control our game?! We are dominating the possession but have only scored one try. So this guy has single handily made us scratch our heads. He is legally slowing our game down and it seems like there is nothing that we can do about it. We have no answer for David Pocock.

With the try and penalty we scored in the first half we are down by 1 point. So it’s time for formalities right, my main man Morne Steyn is a kicking machine and he goes right ahead and hits that drop goal that gives us the lead. We're back! We're back in it and we are like 10 minutes to taking our cause to the semi finals, standard Procedure. Then out of the blue, Australia is awarded a penalty inside our half. Penalty converted and all of a sudden it’s looking bleak. The Boks are trailing by 2 points; all we need is a good drop goal or a penalty to win this game.

So there we are, going hard in Australia's half going hard, pushing the needle, moving the ball. I can feel the tension in the stadium coming through and reaching me on the couch. I am as nervous and anxious as the guy who travelled all over the world, didn't pay his bills for a whole year just to save up for some a quarter final match tickets, quarter finals! You have to feel sorry for that guy. Anyway guys are running hard, they cross the halfway line. We are making progress. The game clock has already expired which means the next stoppage of play is either a penalty to us or the end of the game. Like 4 daggers to the heart, preeeee, I hear the whistle, 'knock on by green game over' and there you have, it was game over. Aaarrrh!! I hit the pillow as a sign of anger and disappointment. I could have thrown the remote through the TV but that is way outside my parent's budget.

It hit me hard man, Couldn't believe we were out of the tournament. And there I was thinking and reliving the different situations trying to understand how exactly we lost this game right. Most fans go through this stage after an epic loss. We tend to blame the ref, the weather, opposing fans, our own coach. Trust me the truth we know but admitting it is a whole different ball game. We picture it in our minds, the, 'Oh we told you so from the smart asses', the sarcastic good sportsmanship handshakes after the game, the, 'Oh buy them a beer they went through a lot financially to get some tickets, as of now they are actually homeless due to the misfortunes of the put your money where your mouth is game for rich people'. You understand how horrible that is? Exactly, this is why our defence mechanism immediately kicks in; we enter what is known as self induced denial. We refuse to accept the fact the other team is better than us even though they have just beaten us in our sport's most prestigious tournament.

In my case this morning the game was lost before it even started. I mean picture this: Australia, David Pocock, a young team and that speed that really kills vs South Africa, John Smit starting, Bismarck Du Plessis on the bench, A bunch of old guys, the lack of speed and an indecisive coach. We never had a chance in the first place! When have you ever had of a bunch of old and slow dudes winning a rugby match against some fast young cats? Never is the unfortunate but sad truth. And now I'm knees deep in the blues, reminiscing about 2007 when we won it all. A bottle of Budweiser would have been ideal but the finances aren't obliging. So there I am with my glass filled with some ice cold Vimto thinking to myself, 'How can I be so pissed about a ball game! I chuckle, take a sip and I remember that such is the life of a sports fan. Cheers


For those of you who understand the concept of this song, those of you who are deep in sorrow. Don't be scared, don't be shy, go right ahead and tell us how it feels in the comments section below. howww dooesss ittt feeeeeellll aaahh!!

1 comment: